Monday 16 September 2013

Love & the Goddess by Mary Elizabeth Coen



This book is really, really good. It has elements of 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert (one of my favourites) and is all about Kate and what happened to her after her husband said 'I want a divorce'. I couldn't put it down and wanted more after I finished it.

Kate has a steady job and a long marriage. As far as she is concerned there's comfort in familiarity and she has become used to her life and how she is treated. Kate's husband Trevor is a man who likes control. After she spends years pandering to him, he decides to have an affair and announces he wants a divorce. Kate, who has lost herself and all her confidence during her marriage, is thrown into life alone. Some of her friends encourage her to try online dating, others say she should enjoy her freedom. Kate does both and embarks on a trip to South America in an attempt to find her inner goddess. Back home in Ireland she has some tough decisions to make as her personal and work life change dramatically but Kate has changed too and is no longer the woman Trevor left.

This is such a 'feel good' book and I loved the well researched mythological aspects.  Following Kate's journey to South America was a joy and has made me even more determined to go there myself one day.

Mary Elizabeth Coen has nailed the writing and I can't fault it. The storyline flows and sweeps you up with its female solidarity. This is definitely one for the girls and is the perfect weekend read. 

More, please!



Twitter: @goddessmeca

3 comments:

  1. This one looks good! Thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your high praises made me put it on my TBO (To be ordered) list. I love Eat, Pray, Love. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for reading the review! Yes, it's a cracking book, recommended wholeheartedly (in case you were unsure!)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.