Thursday 13 June 2013

Getting Back to Radio

Just lately I have been listening to a lot of BBC Radio drama and have been surprised at the gems I have found.

The 7th Dimension, broadcast daily at 6.30pm on Radio Four Extra is a personal favourite and I have just finished listening to an unabridged reading of John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids. These half hour chunks were read by Roger May who has a fabulous way with his voice, projecting male, female, young and old with ease and skill.

I also came across some horror stories on BBC iPlayer. 'Troll' by Ed Harris (an Afternoon Drama on Radio Four) is a particularly good adult fairytale worthy of a listen. As is the latest from Fear on Four's The Man in Black called 'Hellhound on my Trail', (currently available on Radio Four Extra). 'Hellhound on my Trail' was slightly unnerving, particularly when the character's anxiety and panic reached fever pitch near the end...the hairs on the back of my neck actually rose at the actor's screams of fear. Good stuff!

In the Romance and Relationship's section you will find the Love Stories series on BBC Four which are 15 minutes long and written by well known authors. I really like Freya North's Fish and Chips, a tale of a woman who goes to see her inheritance, left by an Uncle she never liked, and is deeply affected by what she finds.

I admit I still love having stories read to me and it makes the most mundane task go so much quicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.